What is a PSL?
Why Should I Fix My PSL?
Compliance Certificate
Buying/Selling Property
Changing Water Meter Size
Courtesy Notice
Exemption Certificate
Time Extension Certificate
$4,500 Refund
Guidelines and Resources
Pautas para Contratistas
Voluntary Compliance

Reschedule Inspection
Cancel Inspection

Check Compliance Status
Compliance Certificate
Exemption Certificate
Time Extension Certificate

Compliance Certificate

Please see the guidelines below regarding how to receive a Compliance Certificate when either building or remodeling in excess of $100,000.

To request a Compliance Certificate, please select your property and follow the required steps.

building/remodeling icon

Guidelines for Building or Remodeling ($100,000+)

When building or remodeling in excess of $100,000, you must obtain a Compliance Certificate for your PSL.

Obtain a Compliance Certificate before final permit sign-off of your project by fixing the PSL, if necessary, and then having an EBMUD inspector witness the PSL verification test (an air or water pressure test of the PSL). The Compliance Certificate must be submitted to the agency issuing your building permit prior to final sign-off, but PSL work can be done before, after, or during the building/remodeling work at your discretion.

B1. Determine if the existing PSL is in compliance
Determine if the existing PSL meets the requirements of the Regional PSL Ordinance. Hire a plumbing contractor to check for leaks and other defects. Your contractor will advise you if work is needed for your PSL to pass the PSL verification test. If no work is required, go to step B4 below (except for properties in Emeryville where step B2 is required even if no repair or replacement is performed).

NOTE:During the installation of new gas lines by Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), some private sewer laterals may have been pierced or completely bored through - known as a cross bore. Underground Service Alert does not typically mark private sewer laterals and as a result, cross bores may go undetected, and if damaged create a potentially hazardous situation. For gas line cross bore information, visit PG&E's website. A review of a closed-circuit television (CCTV) inspection should also include looking for evidence of a cross bore. If you suspect a gas line cross bore, call PG&E at (800) 743-5000. If you suspect a gas leak, warn inhabitants, evacuate the area and call 911 and PG&E at (800) 743-5000.

B2. Obtain required municipal permits
Cities and counties require that appropriate building and/or sewer permits be obtained before starting any PSL work. See contact information for your property's location.

B3. Repair or replace the PSL
Your contractor will repair or replace the PSL in accordance with the Regional PSL Ordinance and your municipality's requirements.

B4. Schedule a PSL verification test
Select your property, choose your preferred date and time for an EBMUD inspector to witness the verification test that your contractor will set up and perform, and pay the required Compliance Certificate fee online. If no work is required, go to step B5.

Note:Your contractor will set-up and administer the verification test per the provided guidelines. EBMUD will witness the test to confirm that your PSL is leak-free.

Disclaimer: EBMUD issues compliance certificates solely on the basis of the performance of the tested sewer lateral in a verification test performed in the presence of EBMUD personnel. The verification test is designed for the sole purpose of determining whether the tested portion of a sewer lateral is free from leaks at the time the test is performed. By issuing this certificate, EBMUD warrants only that the tested portion of the sewer lateral passed a verification test on the date indicated. EBMUD makes no warranty, representation, or guarantee as to the sewer lateral's existing or future condition or its compliance with the legal standards of any other jurisdiction, including building or construction standards without limitation. EBMUD expressly disclaims any and all warranties, both express and implied, as to the sewer lateral's condition or compliance with legal standards and shall bear no liability in connection therewith.

B5. Pass the inspection and print your certificate
Once the EBMUD inspector verifies that the PSL has passed the verification test, the Compliance Certificate will be available online for printing. Select your property and print your certificate.

B6. Present certificate to the city issuing your permit
Provide a copy of the Compliance Certificate to city or county staff before final inspection and permit sign-off of your building/remodeling project. Process is complete.